Chelsea - Tiffin, Ohio

I believe in guardian angels. I believe they are here to help us when we are in our toughest times. Throughout my life, I have come across many situations where my guardian angels have guided me to safety. I do not feel these are coincidences but only a way for my ancestors to communicate with me.

It started out as what seemed like an average teenage day. As soon as I walked in the door, Mom greeted me, but not the type of greeting that’s happy and you’re looking forward to; she motioned me over to her. She explained how things were not progressing with my Auntie Em. She asked, “Would you mind watching your brother while I went to the lake to visit her.” I immediately replied, “No problem, hurry up there, we’ll be fine.”

She hugged me with a sigh of relief and looked down. She instantly started to cry. I thought for sure there was something she was keeping from me; the cry was unexplainable. Instead, I looked at her neck and found the flower from her necklace missing. This was not just an ordinary necklace, it was the one grandpa made for her when he was diagnosed with lung cancer. This was the most important thing to her since it was specially made. Now that he was gone, it meant even more. As soon as I realized what happened I started to crawl on the floor frantically looking for the colorful flower with the precious stones he earned from his hard work at American Standard.

As I was searching for this necklace I thought about how this would be passed down to me when Mom got older. I too began to cry since I knew this was the start of a special jewelry generation. I prayed and prayed to my guardian angel [grandpa] in hopes to find the pendant that so carelessly fell off Mom’s neck. After what seemed like an hour of searching and interrogating Mom to see where she last was, we couldn’t find it. Mom took a breather and went outside on the front porch to reflect. As soon as she walked in she looked directly into my eyes and said, “Grandpa told me where it is. Check the dishwasher.” I sprinted to the dishwasher and to my dismay found no pendant, but I didn’t give up. I pulled out the drawers and searched. That’s when I saw the sparkling flower inching its way toward the drain. I screamed in relief and told Mom not to get it; we would need to be extra careful we didn’t push it into the drain when picking it up.

After we placed the flower back onto her necklace she hugged me tightly and whispered in my ear, “Even though you can’t see him, Grandpa’s here. Our guardian angel guided us.” And this, I believe.