Duane - Fairport, New York
Themes: Christianity

I Believe “Believe” is a Poorly Understood Word.

I remember a tee shirt that said “Every Man Must Believe in Something.” and on the back it read “I believe I’ll have another beer.” Or how about Peter Pan Peanut Butter’s slogan: “You gotta believe in Peter Pan!” I am not sure 288 salmonella victims still believe.

Taking the word “believe” too lightly, which we often do, cheapens it. Believe means “to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so: Only if one believes in something can one act purposefully.”

There are frequently consequences for what we believe, so we need to take what we believe seriously. Some people talk on their cell phones while driving, believing they are the exception and will not be distracted into having an accident. Some people believe they will not have an accident and so they don’t bother to wear a seat belt. Some people wear a seat belt believing it will save them in an accident; then drive like it must!

Atheists believe there is no God. Agnostics don’t k now; believing it doesn’t matter or believing there are no consequences for their indecision. Truly there can be dire consequences for what one believes.

Let us choose to believe only what is central to our life.

I’ll stake my claim on what I am told to believe in Romans 10: 9-10: “That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.”

You might consider that a sermon. I don’t. I just claim it for myself.