Alberto - Florida

When learning how to do something, practice must be followed.

In my early life, at about age six, my father brought me and my brother to a piano instructor. After the first year of playing piano, an obvious difference could be seen between me and my brother. My brother, after being taught a song, mastered it very quickly. I on the other hand had learned to hate practicing the piano. Thirty minutes a day was all it took, but after one day of not practicing, another followed and soon I was waiting till the thirty minutes before I had to go to my piano teacher to try and learn the songs I was supposed to be playing all week. I was what they called a “last minute student”, the type of student no teacher wanted.

At the piano lessons, my teacher would tell me philosophies such as “you can’t drive a car with no gas” or “when you practice something incorrectly, its like going in the wrong direction when walking to school, it takes twice as long to get to school”. About a little less than a year ago, my piano teacher told me and my brother that she was going to move away due to financial problems. Being the stubborn person I was, and maybe still am, I thought to myself; “Finally I’m free from this burden”, but before the lesson was over, she said in a very straight forward tone, “You could have been a much better piano player if you had put forth the effort”.

It took me a while to fully understand what she meant by those words. In time I realized that in order to reach your goal in this world, dedication is a prime factor in the mastery of your goals. Just recently, I gave developed an admiration for the guitar. A moment after I called an instructor, I realized that I had just been given a new beginning, another chance to become a more dedicated person in what I do. At out first lesson, towards the end, the guitar instructor said something that would remind me of what I had learned in my past musical experiences, he said, “in order for you to become a great guitar player, it takes practice, practice, practice”, and I was determined to do just that! From my past I wouldn’t let another thing like this just slip up.

Thorough my experiences I have learned many things which can be said as followed, I believe that those who put forth effort, will eventually reach their goals. I have been playing guitar for about three months now and I am progressing rapidly. I believe that in order to achieve your goals, you need to work for them. My brother thinks that if he were to start playing guitar, he would easily surpass me, but I don’t think I’m going to let that happen again!