Sarah - Sapulpa, Oklahoma

When walked into my first class of the eighth grade I was scared out of my mind, and I had the distinct feeling that I was going to sick up my breakfast. I didn’t have any friends and I was horrified to learn that I would have to be presenting everything I wrote in that class to the class everyday. So I took a seat in the back and sat there quietly for the whole period. But a few weeks later I had made a friend of my still best friend of all time Jessica. The reason that Jessica and I became fast friends was mostly because we were the same in a lot of ways but she had a lot of ideas that were different than mine. That was the thing that attracted me to Jessica. She wasn’t like all the other students in the class. She was an individual. From the way she dressed to the way she thought.

We were assigned a skit about NEWS- north, east, west, and south. We were divided up into groups of five or six, if I remember correctly. The group that I was in with Jessica and other girls in the class, we came up with the great idea of doing a Charlie Brown skit. Naturally it was Jessica’s brilliant idea. A normal brainwashed teen wouldn’t have been able to come up with an idea like that. The skit was a success, I think, even if it wasn’t being a part of it was awesome. It felt like we were breaking out of the box and making the skit your own with our ideas and our performance.

But I have many other friends who are individuals like my friends Kayla and Zac. Kayla doesn’t conform to what anyone believes. She’s always finding bands to love that no one has ever heard of and she wears the best original clothes. Zac is also a non conformist. He

rocks out to bagpipe music and classic rock. He doesn’t wear brand name clothes, because he claims they are too expensive. And he loves swords, big swords, mhmmmmmm.

That is what I believe in. Individuality. Everyone should be an individual and not some brain washed person that follows the crowd, even when they are jumping off a bridge into white water rapids.