Chase - Mounds, Oklahoma
Themes: work

Every Life Counts

When was the last time you watched someone die and could do nothing about it? I’m on the Mounds volunteer Fire Department and I see some crazy, nasty things. Were always making first responder calls and theirs a couple that stick out in my head. I always hate arriving on a scene that it was called in as a signal thirty or death on arrival.

I can remember one evening while me and my dad were at work night and the fire tones went off. We both got in QR 5 and rolled to the high school in Mounds. The call was that an older man was having a heart attack and trouble breathing. When we got on scene and got in the commons the heavy set guy was lying on his back on the ground. My dad and another guy firefighter started CPR trying to bring him back to life. Creek County then arrived and started to do what we were doing. They had the electric shock and started to shock him. After about 15 minutes of CPR, they shocked him for another 20 minutes it seemed like. After about 30 minutes, Creek County presented him dead. That was my first death that I witnessed. That Monday night was a kind of sad night, something that will always be with me. After me and my dad cleared the scene, we went back to the fire station and put QR 5 back in service.

Every second counts when it comes to saving someone else’s life. Half of the people you go to help out are someone you don’t even know nor will probably never see again. Doing this line of work is difficult but very rewarding. This is something I can see me doing for the rest of my life. All it takes is just saving one life and you can’t get a better feeling then that. So when it comes down to it im all for saving someone else’s life. It’s the best feeling you will ever experience.