Jennifer - Florida

Hurricanes cause many people to be stuck inside without power. Making the best out of this situation could help make time go by faster. After hurricane Wilma, my parents and I were without power for more than a week. There was so much debris that we couldn’t go down the block for a period of time. This caused us to be stuck in and around our home for about two weeks.

While my family and I were stuck inside the house, we were able to spend more time together than we usually do. We were able to find creative ways to enjoy the time with one another.

Without power, it is difficult to stay entertained and not become extremely bored; there is no TV, no computer, and no music. Therefore, my family and I had to figure out a way to entertain ourselves both during the day and in the evening. We would play games with each other to help pass time. The games we played were cards, dominos, charades, and sometimes we just made games up on the spot. Playing these games was a fun and interesting ways to spend time at home without power.

My parents and I wanted to come up with a way to make every meal different from the night before. This was not easy. The meals often consisted of the same or similar things. We would make each meal original by using a different sauce or eating in a different place inside the house or in the backyard. Because there was no power, everything had to be cooked on the grill. Cooking meals together was fun for everybody.

It is very difficult to find ways to have fun and enjoy yourself when put in a bad situation. However doing things such as coming up with ways to make ordinary things interesting and playing games can help turn a bad situation into an enjoyable experience. The unfortunate situation of hurricane Wilma and the weeks afterward, allowed my family and me to enjoy more time together than we usually do. This is why I believe in making the best out of bad situations.