Erica - Florida

At the age of fifteen, nobody knows better about the emotional rollercoaster that comes along with being a teenager. So many times my day has started off horribly or ended badly, but all it takes is one smile to turn my day around. I believe that smiles are contagious.

Sometimes, all it takes is a smile to make or break someone’s day. No matter what your race or ethnicity is, a smile is the universal symbol of friendless and even more importantly, happiness. The smallest smirk can make someone feel more important in the world. Shining your pearly whites can only better your life and the lives of people around you. Also, if your always smiling, you will be the person that people just enjoy being around, especially when they are sad. Smiling is just second nature to me. It is such an effortless act, but so effective.

Each smile has its own story. Some have dimples, some have no teeth, some have braces, but all smiles are beautiful in their own way. Smiles communicate that everything is ok. It is a mutual agreement of happiness that can make anybody’s day. I have found that when in doubt, just show some teeth.

Through life experience, I have realized that many people have the same mentality as I do me. This is important when I walk into school mad or upset. Usually, I intend to stay this way until the end of the day and I am an unpleasant person to be around. When I walk into school, I see the smiling faces of all my friends. As hard as I try to hide it, my grin starts to show. Smiles are just unavoidable. Within the next twenty minutes or so, so many people have smiled at me that my mood has made a complete turn around. I can’t even remember what I was upset about in the first place. This may happen all too often, but I can always count on being cheered up when I am around my friends.

I try to smile at every person I come in contact with. I mean why not? It makes me feel good inside to have a huge smile on my face. Smiles spread through a crowd like a wild fire through dry winter brush. There is no avoiding a smile. You can’t just dodge it or forget about it. Your only option is to smile back. I think of the person I smile at as my victim. You have been captured if you smile back. With this mentality, smiles can pass on like the flu in winter, except the smile virus is one people enjoy having.