Rebecca - Sapulpa, Oklahoma

The love of a family

Have you ever heard anyone say “love your family no matter what?” I found this quite difficult to do because my little brother had constantly annoyed me, and my older brother and sisters were way better than me and I was never going to be as good as them. Until four years ago.

November 23, 2002 my mom and I were waiting for Hilary and Megan to return home from Wal*Mart with Hilary’s friend Crystal. Out of no where my two dogs started barking like crazy. There was a knock at the door, my mom said, “Becca; put the dogs in Ernie’s room.” of course I placed the dogs in the room. She opened the door and there stood two police officers and a Chaplin, the older officer asked me to go to the backroom; while heading back there I wondered, “Why am I going back there.” They told my mom that there was an accident and that Hilary and Crystal were being flown to St. Francis, she kept asking about Megan. They asked her to sit down only they told her Megan was killed instantly and she started bawling, at this time I was 12 year old and was standing in the computer room listening to them. It hurt me that I was not allowed in there at that time to try and comfort my mother.

Four years later I’m sitting in CCD doing this prayer circle, hoping and praying that this will work. Some where deep in my mind someone or something tell me that God loves me and that he always has. I started bawling and at that time I felt this weight being lifted off my shoulders which included all the pain, anger, and stress that I took upon myself to not let go of, just came rushing out like a waterfall of feelings. Since then I’ve spent more time with my mom and dad, along with the rest of my family.

In all that has happened and of everything I have done my family has always been there for me no matter what I have done in the past four years. Though they are no longer together my mom and dad are important to me and they believe in me. For once my little brother and I don’t fight all that much which makes my family happy. This is the main reason I have come to believe that family love is important to my family and I.