Amanda - sapulpa, Oklahoma
Themes: forgiveness

I Believe in Forgiveness

Has someone ever hurt you so bad that you just felt you could never find it in your heart to forgive them? Forgiveness is the key to happiness, and without it; the fight is never truly over. I am going to tell you a few things about forgiveness and how it not only helps the situation, but also helps you overcome many tragedies.

Forgiveness can either be very easy or very hard. For example, if someone were to step on your finger and say, “I’m sorry!” You are most likely going to forgive them. On the other hand, there is the type of forgiveness that can be very painful and seem impossible to do. I have come to lean in my life that the hardest people to forgive are the ones that aren’t sorry. Say you had an extremely close acquaintance, like a sister or a cousin, and you two were basically best friends. Then someone who was very close to you, took her from you, and then took his own life. Which means you would never hear the words, “I’m sorry,” ever come out of his mouth. This is similar to a personal accomplishment that I have recently overcome, which is the reason I am sharing it. For the longest time I only had hatred towards him; I couldn’t even bare to think about him. The smell of tobacco always made me nauseous because it reminded me of him, and to this day, I can’t eat scrambled eggs because he used to always make them. After a few months, I realized that I really needed to forgive him for the terrible thing that he had done, not for his sake but for mine. I thought to myself, “Oh this will be a piece of cake! Forgiving him will be no problem.” But it was. I could say that I had forgiven him, but honestly, deep down knew that I truly hadn’t. He wasn’t sorry, and I knew this. This is what made it so difficult. I tried and tried and never gave up, until one day I felt it in my heart that I really had forgiveness towards him. I can’t even begin to explain the relief I felt that day.

I didn’t chose to write this story for sympathy, attention, or anything like that. I just wrote it to prove that you don’t always have to hear someone say that they are sorry to forgive them, no matter how serious the situation may be. It also proves that even thought they may not accept your forgiveness, you are the bigger person for doing it and pulling through.