Jerrika - Sapulpa, Oklahoma
Themes: love

Do you believe that opposites attract? When I was fifteen years old, my grandmother told me a story, which in the end made me believe that opposites really do attract. This story made me think about a lot of believes I had learned in my life, one of which is defiantly a golden rule that goes with my believe, don’t judge a book by it’s cover.

She told me that she was seventeen years old and my grandpa had just turned nineteen. He was a rebellion, which I already knew that, hung out with the “wild and crazy kids”, as she call them. My grandmother, on the other hand, was a very proper young women, she had a good head on her shoulders and wanted to go places in life, she had it all planned out.

It was on a Wednesday evening in a little town called Harrison, Arkansas. Every Wednesday evening they would have a dance in the middle of town square. Grandma said she usually went over to a friends house and they would all stay there and hang out but for some reason they all decided to go to the dance. As they walked out onto the dance floor she saw my grandpa standing by the cider table. As I sit there, waiting to hear the rest of her story, she said, “I mean honey I had seen him around town before, but I knew I would never be able to get along with a boy “that” looked like and acted like “that”. Which I knew what “that” meant. She told me how her and her friends “boogied” all night long, and had the time of their lives.

As my grandma went on telling me her story, she said that she got thirsty so she went over to get a cup of cider, but before she could get a glass my grandpa grabbed her arm and took her back out on the dance for. They talked and danced for hours, even after the music had stopped. From the day on, my grandparents where inseparable, they knew they were in love.

I remember her telling me how she sweat to herself that there was no way someone like her would work out with someone like him, but even though she may have thought that, they ended up being happily married for over fifty years. So think about it, do opposite attract?