Jason - Plantation, Florida

THIS I BELIEVE ESSAY

Many people in today’s society live in developed areas. However, there are many people that are still dying from diseases that can easily be treated. These people, like some in Africa, struggle to get food every day just to survive. You may ask why, but the answer is very hard.

I believe that everybody has a responsibility to give back to the community and to the world. It is so easy to make a difference in someone’s life. You can donate money to select organizations or give necessities like canned food to other organizations. I encourage everyone to help someone out. There is no reason not to help. I always give to charity, even if it is just five dollars on a jeans day at school. There is no reason that people should live lives less fortunate than you. Muhammad Ali once said, “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.”

You can give back to your community by volunteering time. Some things you can do for community service is working at a soup kitchen or working at a day care center. For some people, community service is relaxing and fun to do and others feel obligated to do it.

Recently, I decided I was going to buy the new Xbox 360. I saved up all the money and was just about to order it on the Internet and I thought to myself, “Why do I need this?” To tell you the truth, I don’t need it. Instead of buying the Xbox 360, I donated to a charity that bought food for people in Darfur. The money I donated bought two thousand meals.

People living in developed societies have all the resources they could want. Medicine is improving rapidly in America. However, many people die in the world due to a lack of health care. They die from diseases that are very easy to prevent, but they have no way of getting the treatment. In the past, I have also donated money to medical care for people with few medical resources.

One thing I truly believe: your charity should increase as your wealth increases.