Kerry - Weston, Florida

I believe that life is nothing more than an elongated dream.

This is a Buddhists belief that says if you realize that life is only a dream, you will reach Nirvana, or a peaceful heaven. However, I do not believe this for any religious reasons.

If not for religion, then why would I believe something as crazy as this? My reason is that there is nothing to prove me wrong. I can only fully understand things that are in my mind or what is personally happening to me. For example, if someone was to lie to me, they would be the only person to know for a fact if they were lying. This all relates to being my “dream” because they are all what is happening inside the “dream”.

When I try to think outside of my mind and into another’s, I am impeded with what seems like a wall. I sometimes think that things that happen to me are happening for a reason to get me through my dream. How can I know for a fact that people are doing things when I am not around? They may only be doing things when I am near so I think this is reality. Again, if there’s nothing to prove me wrong, why not think this way?

If you are confused as to this whole thought, think about dreams that occur when you are sleeping. Dreams during sleep turn into fun or frightful adventures. You have no conscious control of what is happening or what is going to happen. It is like you are watching yourself through and adventurous story. Sometimes in “real life” I feel like I am just watching myself complete daily activities.

Logically, it’s nearly impossible for such things that have happened in life to have actually happened. How could I believe that a never-ending dark abyss called the universe could ever exist? Likewise with how we all live on a planet that has been around for billions of years and has been inhabited by many different kinds of creatures. I guess this is all just part of my dream.