Cory - Weston, Florida

I believe that we are what we eat. Throughout the course of my life, I have come up with the assumption that the foods we eat relate to the “parties” we vote for. Furthermore, the culinary arts help define our positions on a social, economical, and political basis.

My father is the quintessential example of an ardent Republican. He strongly go against actions such as gay marriage, abortion, and stem-cell research. Likewise, as a majority of conservatives hail from the Deep South, it isn’t much of a surprise that his culinary preferences consist of country fried steak, pork chops, and mashed potatoes. Basically my father, a lightweight surprisingly, has consumed nearly every southern delicacy ranging over 500 calories. His indifference towards a tax break is just as hard as you sinking your teeth into a overdone Kansas City Rib-eye.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, my mother portrays just another fun-loving liberal. I personally believe my mother’s staunch support for the First Amendment in the Constitution (freedom of speech) goes a little overboard as she and her extremely rambunctious friends have habitual “Sushi Tuesdays” and “Cheese and Wine Sundays.” My mothers regret for ordering that extra slice of Oreo cheesecake coincides with her regret that she voted for President Bush in the 2004 election.

Just as adolescents are barred from voting under the age of 18, my youngest brother, Jordan’s (age 5) food choices are elementary to say the least. While he would classify a gourmet meal consisting of a scrumptious peanut-butter and jelly sandwich (no crust of course), cheetos, and a cool, refreshing Motts apple juice, he doesn’t know the difference between President Bush and Osama Bin Laden. Well, that’s not a good example! Still, if you offered my brother a choice between a chicken tender or the more expensive chicken parmesan, he would opt for the nugget in a second.

My middle brother, Avery, can be best described as the Ralph Nader of my family. He always seems to screw it over for the rest of us. Known as the “green party candidate”, Avery unquestionably forces my mother to cater around his own needs. My brother’s habitual supper of a well-done filet mignon, penne pasta, and a 12 oz. bottle of meat ragu sauce by his side has caused trauma to my family for the last 8-10 years. Essentially, I am forced to succumb to the “dark forces” of red meat night in and night out. Just as Ralph continues to employ ruthless diatribes over his opposing foes, my brother argues that “chicken is a thing of the past, fruits are wastless, and who needs those stinking vegetables?”

How do I describe myself? Well, I in fact, am the atypical moderate. I appeal to both sides of the argument and in this case both hemispheres of the culinary world. I have vast tastes in both domestic and ethnic foods. In addition, my plethora of choices such as Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, and Caribbean make my preferences extremely flexible. However, most importantly, on nights that my family and I go out to dinner; my parents do not have to concentrate on my needs but others who matter the most.

In short, the culinary arts bring my family together as a whole. Time and time again, I have come to realize that the foods we eat help define the people we are.