Nicole - Hollywood, Florida

Since birth, I have always had a special and strong connection with someone other than my parents. For the most part, I tell my parents everything and spend time with them on a daily basis. However, every Sunday, I spend time with my grandma. My dad’s mom, is ninety one years old. She is currently the oldest living family member in the Cohen family, while I am the youngest.

When I was younger, my grandma would either take me out to eat a great meal or buy me presents. She was always there for me. However, it is not the presents and meals that make me love her, but the way we smile and laugh together and moments we simply share together.

My grandma always puts others before herself and never shows when she is in any pain. We have a special and close relationship with each other. She refers to me as the baby of the family, when in reality everyone else calls her “the baby” because she cannot do much for herself.

I believe in taking care of someone who once took care of you, and is not capable of it anymore. Now that my grandma is older she tires easily, is less eager to go out, and sleeps most of the day. It is my responsibility to take care of her and to repay her, for what she did when I was a child.

During the past couple of years, I have still spent time with my grandma on Sundays. However, now it is my turn to do things for her. For example, when I go to her house, I bring lunch, listen to music with her, and talk to her about everyday life. She never wants to discuss anything about her, so I always tell her what I think she wants to hear. I inform her that I am keeping my grades up in school, play and teach tennis several times a week, and tell her about my friends. She always leaves me with positive thoughts. She pushes me to work hard in school, tells me not to give up tennis, and to always keep my friends.

My grandma has taught me a very important lesson, whether she has realized it or not. She has taught me, that to keep having fun, enjoyable moments, you need to work at having a positive life. Even when she is tired, she always makes an effort to see me. Considering she is the oldest and I am the youngest in our family, we both benefit from each other. We have switched roles in the family because now I take good care of her by providing meals and bringing presents, such as, stuffed animals that sing, as she once did for me. Taking care of someone who once took care of you, is one of the most worthwhile activities in my life.