Shea - Davie, Florida

Throughout my life I have been fortunate enough to grow up with a strong family and a great group of friends. I learn from them every day and cherish each lesson, making it part of my life. When times get rough, we strive to stay strong. Together we have supported one another and have learned not to dwell on the weak moments in life, but to live in happiness and laugh with loved ones. I believe in the power of laughter.

These past couple of months have come with many surprises. Recently I turned sixteen and my friends and I were supposed to spend a weekend in Universal Studios. The day before the trip, I went with my mom to get food for the car ride. We were running late, and she had an MRI appointment because of her continuous migraines. I unwillingly sat in the waiting room for half an hour until the doctors finally came out with unexpected news: they had found a tumor in my mom’s brain and she had to be rushed to the hospital. Not only was my trip cancelled, but I learned my mom would have to stay in the hospital for three weeks.

My family and I were in complete shock. I had to call my friends and let them know that the trip was cancelled and that I would be at the hospital for the weekend. They did not even think twice about the cancellation but only called every minute to make sure everything was okay.

The next day, my friends decided to cheer me up and take me out to dinner. Although I was hesitant at first, my mom was excited for me to go out and have fun. After only two minutes in the car, I found myself hysterically laughing, not even thinking about the problems of the weekend. After dinner, I called my parents. My dad was at the hospital with my mom and they were both pleased to hear the funny stories I had to tell them.

After our night out, I decided to invite the girls to sleep over. We spent the whole night laughing and being our crazy selves. I thanked them for this, as did the rest of my family, for keeping everyone in a good mood. That night I truly realized how important my friends are and how much we can get through with a little laughter. My mom was even able to put her worries behind her because of her constant phone calls and visits from friends who made her laugh. Her surgery was a total success and we still gratefully smile about those times we were able to laugh during her startling hospitalization. It is important to enjoy moments in life where smiles and laughter have the ability to change a person’s day and get them through hardships. This is a key to strong relationships and constant happiness.

I believe in the power of laughter.