Brittany - Sapulpa, Oklahoma
Themes: freedom

On Character with Individuality

“Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.” These words by Frank Outlaw I feel encompass my beliefs. You should always watch yourself because what you think and say will grow into something that could change your life forever. Being a person of character doesn’t mean you have to be a robot, though. I believe in being a unique person of character.

The choices people make in what they do, think, and say influence their lives in more ways than they can realize at the time. I have made it a personal goal to lead a better lives than a lot of people I see, but I want to stay true to myself always. Yes, that probably means I won’t be the most perfect young lady on earth. I am still metal at heart and I will keep rocking the way I do, but that does not mean I have to make all the bad choices that a lot of people associate with the music.

When I was in sixth grade I was on the way to becoming the girl my mom thought I should be. I should have top grades and always have a good appearance. Of course, at the time, I worshipped the ground she stood on. What she wanted, I delivered. I was a straight A student who didn’t exactly wear a suit to school, but I dressed nicer than I wanted to. Really, I just wanted to wear the jeans and t-shirt I felt comfortable in. I wanted to start wearing eyeliner and expressing myself in ways that felt right to me and my personality. And I had been thrown into this Middle School world where the other children were allowed to do just that.

I longed to ask my mother if I could start wearing make-up and the clothes I liked. I thought, maybe if I kept my grades up.., but I knew already what she would say. “It’s just a phase. Pay attention to your future. Listen to me.”

What about me? I know I could keep my grades up even if I was finding my way towards being an individual at the same time. However, she didn’t seem to think it could be done, and was hesitant to give in. At last, thought, she started letting me pick out my own clothes that fit my style, and the eyeliner I saw in magazine and movies that I liked so much. And since I was being allowed this freedom to express my individuality, I felt better. Like I was finally free of the ball-and-chain way of life and I was on my way to being someone unique and free. All while keeping my same character and natural urge to show kindness to most. That’s what I believe to this day. Be a unique person of character.