Jonathan - Plantation, Florida

This I Believe…

At 15 years old, I have learned that complaining does not get you anywhere and the essence of life is in another idea. I believe in happiness.

In a writing class assignment, I had to think of any crises in my life and write about it. I could not think of one. Eventually, my classmates helped me find a semi-crisis and all was good. That got me to thinking how my life has not had much wrong with it and I have a lot to be thankful for.

My life may not seem perfect because my parents are divorced, and are just barely scraping by putting me through private school. I do not ask for much because of this and I do not have a problem with it. It has taught me to be happy with what I have. My parents have become great friends because they rely on each other so much. I see my parents equally, as opposed to the kids that see one parent for two weeks and the other for one or two days.

Nothing bad has happened to my family that had caused any form of sadness. Nobody has been in grave danger and for the most part, everyone is healthy.

Going to private schools all my life, I see many well-off families and “spoiled” kids. Then I see those who have parents like mine who care so much that they are willing to sacrifice so much. Why complain? I am being set up for a great life.

I know I do not live in a fancy house or have a nice car that I got weeks before getting my license; but I also know that in the long run, I will be well educated and have my life set up. I appreciate that for all it’s worth.

I am a peaceful person. I do not fight with my parents or friends because there is no reason to. Fighting does not show anything, except for ignorance; a healthy argument is all that is needed. I have fun when I can, I can tolerate solitude if I need to, and I can be serious for as long as I have to.

Maybe other people have better lives, but they aren’t any happier. I know that I am grateful for who I am.

I am happy that this class happened; maybe I would not have put thought into the big picture. I feel that anger is a waste of energy and time, and if people could just be peaceful and joyful, the world would be a much better place. I believe in happiness and all of it is fun.