Chelsea - Golden Beach, Florida

I Believe That Technology Killed The

I was brought up with technology all around me with my mom always on the phone and my dad always watching television. I was raised to depend on technology, and I am still amazed at the things it can do. I used to hear stories about my parents’ and grandparents’ childhoods and I couldn’t believe that they lived without television or cell phones. So naturally, I didn’t think I could survive for even a day without the most common technology like electricity or air conditioning; that is until hurricane Wilma struck Florida. There were many hurricanes that season, but Wilma is the one that made us lose power for three weeks. During this time I learned and came to believe that technology killed my family.

Those three weeks were the best time I’ve ever had with my family. It was peaceful and quiet because for some reason the “crisis” of losing power brought us closer together. In the beginning it was difficult for us to adapt because it was hot and when we went into a room the lights wouldn’t turn on, but as the days passed we started to enjoy it. The neighborhood came together to help one another and make sure everyone was alright. What I liked most about losing power was that the phones didn’t ring every five minutes and I could talk to my mom without interruption. Every night we would sit down to family dinners together and NOT watch television. We were forced to talk to each other, and it strengthened our bond. After dinner, instead of all of us going our separate ways, we sat down together and played cards and board games. We didn’t leave our neighborhood the whole time, so it forced us to rely on each other to get through those few weeks. Without all the technology, life is much simpler.

When the power came back on, I almost wished it hadn’t. I knew that the power coming back would push us all back into our old ways and we wouldn’t spend quality time like that anymore. The power gave my mom her cell phone back and my dad his television. Losing power for three weeks showed me what my family could be if we didn’t have all of this technology. Now when I hear about hurricanes coming, I almost wish it to hit us so we can lose power again. All I want is that family time back again.