Amanda - sumner, Washington

Discrimination

Why do we discriminate against others? That is a question I often ask myself each day. In America there are over 80000 racist websites on the web that anybody can acsess. Discrimination happens every day, we cant stop it but there are some ways to prevent it. For example, how many people of the Arabic race are discriminated each day for the wrong doings of Osama Bin Laden. People of the Arabic race are often called names like terrorists, ragheads, and even killers.

In America there are a lot of racist comedy movies that promote the rapid spread of discrimination through the young minds of American teenagers and children. Today in the world there are some signs that represent the hate that other people have for another race or religion, for example the Swastica represents the hatred that Adolf Hitler felt towards the Jewish people of Germany, even though some people say that he himself had traces of Jewish ansestors. But discrimination doesn’t have everything to do with race or religion, we have all experienced some discrimination, think back to when you were in high school,when you were discriminated for not wearing the clothes that the “In Crowd” wore either because you didn’t have enough money or it wasn’t your style. Either way it is still discrimination and it is still wrong. According to the dictionary discrimination is “To judge; or to treat differently on the basis of race, class, or sex.”

In the days of our parents and grandparents there was a lot of discrimination, wether it was against the Jewish or the Japaneese people, they did it wether it was okay or not. When people discriminate against other people in front of young children, it gives the child the right to think that it is okay, when really it is not. In a lot of cases there is discrimination against homosexual people. In America there are over 2000 homosexual youth living on the streets because they are discriminated against by their own parents. Homosexual teenagers are 4 times more likley to commit suicide than their straight peers. Sometimes when a teenager is discriminated it causes them bottle their feelings inside , until the either let it out on other people or they take it out on themselves by commiting suicide. I as a person do not understand how people can treat other people with disrespect, because of something that, that person can not control. There are some celebrities and bands that are fully against discrimination and try to the best of their abilities to prevent their listeners from discriminating other people.

There are many “Groups” that almost anyone can join that show hate towards others. Being in one of those groups can relate to death, injury, or a lifetime behind bars. Some people are discriminated by the color of their clothes, because most of these groups “take on” certain colors and certain brands of clothes. Nobody will understand why we discriminate against others, if we think about a discrimination-free world it almost seems amazing. It is apparent that discrimination will never go away, but if we all pull together and attempt to get rid of discrimination, there is a possibility that it will die down and may be less important to people in the world

In conclusion, discriminating people is wrong. There is no nice way to discriminate somebody. We should not judge sombody based on something that they might not be able to control. Even though there are somethings that we may not like about someone, it is really impolite to judge them and to hate. Throughout life I have learned to like everybody, not about what makes them proned to discrimination. That is why we should not discriminate.