Joseph - Elizabeth City, North Carolina

We are in control of our own destiny

I believe in existentialism because every competent person is in control of their own outcome in life. As people in general, we struggle to make the right decisions at one point or another. We face many factors that we are allowed the choice to either, choose to adapt, or to follow suit.

As a young child, I was often told that I would never succeed in life’s journeys. I came to the realization as I grow wiser; those very words are what play a key factor in my drive to succeed. I have also learned to defenestrate those same words and display the opposite. All of the negative aspects presented to me as a child taught me a very valuable lesson, the lesson it taught me was to strive to become the exception to what seemed to be the norm within my environment. For me to be in control of my own destiny, I realized I had to correct the mistakes that caused those around me to fail. I then had to use what I learned, no matter what negative remarks anyone had to say, to the best of my ability. I often live by the words, “if it doesn’t kill you it shall make you stronger”, so with each barrier that I come across, I take a look at the positive end of the situation and then take my next step toward a productive career. I’ve learned that I can’t dwell on my short comings if I plan on reaching my next goal, because time waits for no man.

An even better example than me would be one of my father. My father lost his father at the age of 12 years old. Growing up in the mean streets of New York, he and his siblings practically raised each other. Unfortunately while his mother strived to support 8 children, she didn’t have much time to spend with her family, leaving my fathers only role models to be the gamblers and hustlers that surrounded him. He chose to adapt from this situation by acquiring the trait of selective hearing. He chose to pull the positive and even though he was a witness to the negative, he taught himself to block the negative aspects out of his mind. My father controls his destiny today by his work ethics. He is a successful small business owner who now chooses his own hours.

So the next time someone tells you you’re not smart enough, well enough, or your environment is too rough for you to make it. You must always keep in mind that it is important that we know we are in control of our own destinies.