Amanda - Sapulpa, Oklahoma

Dream Catchers

Nightmares are horrible and terrifying. And yet many do not have these dreams, these nightmares. Most of which are Native Americans, because of it being their history. Native Americans, most tribes, live by their history. There are also few, usually those with Indian blood, who also believe in dream catchers. I am one of which. People may think I am weird for my belief in them so I only wish to tell the story I am about to tell you, as the reader.

It is said long ago, an old Lakota Spiritual Leader, was in seek of a vision. When it came to him he saw Iktomi, the trickster and teacher of wisdom, became a spider. Iktomi spoke to the man in a sacred language, only for spiritual leaders of the Lakota Are to Understand. As he Spoke, the spider, Iktomi, took the man willow hoop which had on it horsehair, feathers, beads and offerings, and started to spin a web.

He spoke to the elder about the cycles of life, from infancy to childhood. And From childhood to Adulthood. And then finally from Adulthood to old age. But, as life progresses you will have good times and bad times. If you choose to follow the good choices, they will lead you in the right path. If you choose to go to the wrong path it shall hurt you and others. All while Iktomi was speaking he was spinning the web, from the outside to the inside leaving a hole in the middle.

“Use the web for you and your people to reach your goals in life, with you dreams and visions. If you believe the Great Spirit, the web will capture your good ideas, visions and dreams.

And the bad ones will pass through the hole in the middle”. So the Elder shared his vision to those of his people and which was passed through generations and scattered all over.

I believe in dream catchers, because I’ll hang them over my bed at night and I never have nightmares. And I lost my dream catcher and I started to have really weird dreams. Not nightmares. They believe that the dream catcher holds the destiny of their future.