Sean - Tulsa, Oklahoma
Themes: pleasure

Aimlessly Driving

Have you ever been completely relaxed and content? I have had the privilege to experience this feeling. One of my favorite pass-times is driving. My life would seem almost meaningless if I couldn’t drive around with my friends, not knowing where we are going.

Now, driving by yourself, just a short distance, and not really letting yourself enjoy it is one thing. But where you get a good friend next to you and you let yourself get carried away in the pure ecstasy of just being there and not caring where you are heading, it is something entirely different. To be able to look at your friend and know that neither of you care where you end up. To be able to say, “Hey, let’s go,” and knowing that “go” to both of you means to drive in any direction and let the road lead you. That is truly driving. When you can sit around and take two hours just to tell people stories of your trip is when you know it is worth it.

There are many stories that I could tell you about me and my driving experiences. During the week, I don’t drive that much because I am in school all day. But as soon as school lets out Friday, I jump in my car, pick up a friend, and just drive. Every weekend, I end up with anywhere from two hundred to six hundred new miles on my car. Just the feeling of being on the road and having fun makes my life seem so much more elaborate. I love being able to just not care.

The only bad part about loving to drive so much is coming up with gas money. I still say that it is worth it though. I highly doubt that anything else in this world will mean as much to me as being able to just go and not know where my destination is. Driving for the fun of it has become a part of who I am and I enjoy it deeply.