emily - Boston, Kentucky
Themes: death

The Loved Live On

When someone dies their bodies are buried or cremated, their souls are no longer with them and you no longer get to see the person, because their body is dead. Their souls, I am sure move on, but you never get to see them again, they are gone. This was my thinking for years after my mother’s death. I thought of my high school graduation and my wedding day, how she would not be there. Then a sudden wave of fear came over me, if she would not be there for the good times, then what would I do when she was not there for the bad times? The times I would most need her, I understand how hard it is to grow up and I have known that for a while, but how would I make it without her? Yeah my dad was great, but you know it’s not the same. She was my mother and no way would I ever talk to my dad about boys or anything like that so I felt alone. But then I realized something and it took five years for me to get to this point. Going through a rough time anyway the anniversary of her death hit me like a ton of bricks, and with those bricks came thoughts I had pushed out of my mind at her death, thoughts I was now ready to think about. I realized that I had looked at everything the wrong way, why should in think of how she could have been here, when really she was. She is with me because I am so much like her; I look like her I think like her I even talk like her. Even though she was only in my life for the first eleven years she left so much of an impact on me that she will never leave. On my wedding day she will be with me in my heart. During all the hard times she has been with me, every time I told myself it would be ok if she was here she was there. She left this world way too soon, but at the same time she will live on forever in my heart.

I believe that those you loved live on with you after they have passed. I know that in fifty years when I am sixty-five I will still think of her, and she will still be with me.