Sarah - Tulsa, Oklahoma
Themes: parenthood

Miracles Do Happen

Mike Peter, age forty-two and a real go-getter is a pastor at Canyon Road Baptist as well as the father of yours truly. He was having a great day ready for whatever life was going to throw at him, or so he thought!

It was 6:30 a.m. Sunday morning and he was getting all the stuff needed for that day ready to go. He started to head down our stairs and within a blink of the eye he fell, he was only about four steps from the floor but any fall down the stairs is bad. He got up and kept going on with his routine paying no mind that he was so clumsy just two seconds earlier. Later that week he had to make a visit to the doctor’s office for symptoms such as a sore back, his legs hurt and he was physically drained for some unknown reason. That is when the big surprise came.

The doctors while checking for a diagnosis found a serious heart murmur or in small words his heart was skipping beats and fluttering. This led to many doctors’ visits, tests and check-ups. When the test results came in no one would be prepared for what they were about to hear.

The doctors said they believe he has a heart parasite that he probably got from an overseas mission trip. The parasite made my dads heart valves very weak, so weak that every time his heart would beat the valves couldn’t close all the way. This was letting the blood go back into his heart.

The only option they saw was OPEN-HEART SURGERY, to be down real soon. They would be stopping his heart completely and replacing his two valves with mechanical valves which would make it to where every time his heart beated it would make a ticking sound that you could hear by just sitting next to him. I know what you’re thinking and yes all of this chaos at the young age of forty-two.

The surgery would last up to ten hours and he would be in the hospital recovering for two weeks. The surgery went great, just as planned and he recovered fully two months earlier than expected. Everything about this situation was a miracle and I believe if it hadn’t have been that fall down the stairs he might have found out to late to fix it. Because of this miracle I have a forty-three year old dad.

When my dad woke up that morning he didn’t know about the things in store for him. He had no clue he was going to fall in a minute or that he would be in the doctor’s offices for the next month and he definitely didn’t know he was going to have open heart surgery next month at the age forty-two. You never know when a miracle is going to happen, that’s why they call it a miracle.