Angela - Sapulpa, Oklahoma

Family Vacation

Those hot summer days are just screaming out a week or two of anything to do then just a normal mediocre summer week. Your family becomes more restless as the summer days cease. You wonder of there’s any way to break free from the normal days of summer. The days seem longer and more distant until tha one week of freedom with family creeps up.

When that one breathless moment is here and all you can do is be overjoyed with excitement, your finally free from the bind of lazy summer days of June. The ride there, in the cluttered car full of luggage and family members is the best of all. The old must of air in the cramped car is hard to bare but it doesn’t matter when you are awaiting the joyful moments of vacation. You can hardly wait for the trip there in the car to be over.

The final moment arrives, when you are finally there. The warm breeze of salt and ocean water fills your lungs, leaving a lingering taste of the beach in your mouth. Your finally free from the outside normal world you call home. It almost feels unreal on the first day. So much to do, so little time.

Dad wakes me up at 7:00 a.m to get ready to go down to the shore. The sound of the waves can be heard through the condo. I’m excited, and so is my family. “Make sure to put on plenty of sunscreen!” my mom sounds like a broken record on the first day. So I put on my swimsuit and deck on plenty of sunscreen and I rush out the door. When my feet touch the warm sand, I can feel my feet sink. I run to feel the ocean and it is really cold! So I gently walk in the cold water until my skin is used to it. The waves are more rough than I remember them to be. One of the waves is too strong for me to stand, so it knocks me over, leaving me in the salty water. I lift my head out gasping for air. I notice my sister running towards me to come join me. We always have so much fun, we lose track of time! Seconds turn to minutes, minutes turn to hours. Before you know it, its dusk and you have to get cleaned up and dressed for that evening’s plans.

The night becomes hopeful and it is time to dream of what tomorrow will hold. Who knows what tomorrow will bring when your family becomes closer with each coming day.