ABRAHAM - Texas
Themes: science

I believe that as it is inside, it is also outside

An old proverb says: “As it is above, it is also below”. The proverb meaning is not only the relationship between the human being existing on the earth and the celestial bodies that are moving in the space, but it also avoid an imaginary boundary between a small farm (the earth) and a wide field (the space). However, some people have used this boundary to place God outside, while the human being is placed inside the world, being stared by God. At the end, this kind of boundaries signifies the division among human beings, countries, and between the earth and the universe, and God and the human being.

I am an engineer, a mature man, not atheist, and I search the knowledge to be a good men and truthful. In that search, I have been in contact with recent concepts, life sciences areas that are completely new for me. Because of my age, the table of the chemical elements has more elements than the last time that I have checked it, the number of planets are different then the last time that I have reviewed it, the natural kingdom is bigger, and the concepts about cells and genome are beyond the common sense and its implications have a deep ethics impact and moral considerations.

My most recent contact with sciences of life has been in a recently Cell and Molecular Biology course at the university. My eyes were open by the admiration, my ears were learning new words and concepts, and my brain was converting every process in a logic sequence that should be understood. In this process, the cell has shown me its secret of life, the DNA has restricted its dominion to the nucleus, the genes have written its letters in nucleotides, and the best of all for a mortal engineer is that the cell has a structure called cytoskeleton.

Cells are a paradigm, they are factories that generate components to live and components to kill, they can cure diseases or they can make you insane. Cells are powerful, they can generate life and they can kill. Some of them are our companion for many years but others just for a short time. Cells have given us our physical appearance and they store our knowledge information and memories. They love and they hate like we do, because they are like ourselves.

Finally, cells allow not only sensorial contact with the world but also a deep and complex relationship with the environment by means of proteins. Our interrelation with the world and with the environment is the same that we have with the cosmos. At the end, as it is inside, it also is outside; and as it is above, also it is below. Everything is connected in the cosmos maybe because God does not play the dices.