Ashly - Los Angeles, California

To drug use many people are beginning to loose their loved ones. The drug use is getting worse everyday. It is hard for many drug users to let go of drugs. I have had troubles with people who use Crystal Meth and Heroin. After seeing them go thru all the trouble, it made me realize that I didn’t need that. I have seen many other people doing other drugs like weed, but that isn’t as bad as crystal meth and heroin.

I had tried to help out two of my friends who have used crystal meth and one who used heroin. Even though I wasn’t the one using the drugs it affected my life a lot. I lost one of my loved ones to heroin. He was only 17 years old when he died. He was like a brother to me. Seeing him in the hospital bed made me feel like I had to make a better choice than him. He died of heroin use. I cried to him so many times telling him to stop, but he wouldn’t understand. Now he is gone. But I believe that he is in a better place. After seeing him go like that, I decided that I was going to finish high school and go to college.

Two of my friends use crystal meth. Because of them I can’t stand people who hit the pookie pipe (crack pipe). When they are “on one” they’re either really nice to you, or mean. The drug makes them snap at people. One of my friends even tried to hit me once. But I stopped him. The drug use made them slow (stupid). They struggle at school, they don’t think straight, and are endangering their life’s. After seeing my so-called friends do all those drugs made me realize something. It made me realize that I had to be a better person than them. I had to make a different choice. Either be bad in school, or actually become someone in life.

I could say they set an example for me, not do the same as them. I have decided to be the bigger person in life, by actually wanting to finish high school and go on to college. Because of them I realized I had to and wanted to be someone in life. After high school, I want to go to UCLA. That is my dream university. I want to study photography and optometry. I am going to achieve my goals. This is what I believe.