Chelsea - louisburg, Kansas

I believe in being a kid

Teenagers have to deal with many stressful things, such as high school, college, work, and family. I being one of those teenagers believe that parents put entirely too much pressure on their children, especially when they get older. The pressure to get good grades, go to college, have a part time job, spend time with your family, and still obtain a social life can be very overwhelming.

I am a junior in high school and I would say I am an average student. I don’t get straight A’s and I’m not in National Honor Society, I’m just an everyday average teenager. I give a valid effort to get really good grades but it seems like at the end of every quarter they are still not up to the expectations of my parents. I do my homework every night to the best of my ability and turn it in on time. My mother checks my grades on a weekly basis and every week I hear this, “You have a C in history” or “Your grades are dropping.” It’s like no matter how hard I try I just can’t get it.

Like many teenagers, I have a part time job every day after school. I work from 3:30 until 11:00 everyday. This makes it a little difficult to make sure I get all of my homework done and try to get enough sleep so that I’m not falling asleep in class, which I have done many times. When I don’t get up well in the mornings my mom always says well you should have gone to bed earlier. Well that is a little hard to do when I’m trying to get good grades. I then am told that I shouldn’t work so much. I am 17 years old and I pay for my own phone bill, my car payment, and my car insurance so I can’t exactly just stop working so much or I can’t pay those things.

On top of the stress of my mom wanting me to get good grades and pay for my bills I am almost a senior so now I have college to think about. Oh MY GOODNESS. I’m going to lose my mind if one more person asks me what college I’m looking at or what I’m majoring in. I will figure that out once I get out of high school. All together I believe that the reason I am so stressed all the time and don’t get much sleep or good grades is because of how hard my parents push me. Let me be a kid while I’m still young enough to be one. Yes good grades are important and so is teaching your children responsibility but you can still do that and let them be kids without pushing them so hard all the time. I’m 17 not 30!!!!