Lee Ann - Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I am only an American

I am neither politically inspiring nor courting votes.

I am only an American with an opinion.

I am a writer, a mother, the wife of a career military man.

I am an American who cares about peace and stability in the world.

I care about global warming and healthcare, about rights for the very young and very old.

I wept and worried when we went into Desert Storm.

I wept again when my nephews were deployed to Iraq the second time.

I knew it was wrong – a pre-emptive strike.

I cried out my disagreement – my fears.

My voice was but an echo on the wind.

I am only an American.

I drive a Honda and own a home. I have two children in college and one in second grade.

I work, try to eat healthy and exercise regularly.

My passions are cooking, writing and history.

I recycled before anyone talked of Global Warming.

When I was in the fourth grade I wrote President Ford about stopping litter and pollution – remember – “Give a hoot – don’t pollute?” The President sent me back a letter and his autographed picture.

I’ve always tried to be a good steward of our beautiful planet.

When we hike our nation’s trails and beaches, we take a trash bag along; not only for our trash but for that left by others. I’ve raised my children to be conscientious – to care.

We are only Americans.

When I see a picture of a mother in anguish – regardless of the color of her skin – or what country she lives in – I feel her pain. My child had cancer.

I’ve always given my spare change to the little boxes on the store counters for MS, Aids, Heart Disease and Cancer Research, etc.. I wear a pink ribbon and have a yellow one tied around the tree in my front yard.

Old Glory waves in the breeze from my front porch, every day, not just on Federal Holidays. My ancestors served in the Civil War and every war since.

I am only an American.

Not just one day – every four years – when suddenly my opinion matters.

I am an American every day of every year. Proud, strong, and hopeful.