Casey - Bloomington, Illinois

I believe in humor. Humor is needed now more than ever. We live in a society that is so uptight and cautious that we never seem to realize how important laughing can actually be. But you don’t have to go looking for your jokes in books, television, or movies. Just take a look around, nearly everything can be funny in one way or another.

But DO NOT look at those kids that wear shredded jeans, that is completely unfunny. Those kids have suffered through so much. Everyday is a struggle. Their sole wish in the morning is hoping to make it into school with both legs intact. Even before they get to their car in the morning, they are attacked by what I can only guess to be some kind of savage animal. Maybe a bear, pack of wild dogs, maybe cats or even a lawnmower or two. Even after reaching their car, safety is far beyond reach. These kids aren’t fortunate enough to have door on their cars, so every right or left turn sends their bodies skidding along the pavement, ripping their pants even further.

It’s a terrible thing to make fun of one of these kids, if anything wish them Godspeed on their next journey through a hell I can only imagine. Maybe it’s something like the hell a boy with long hair must go through…

Do not to look these boys in the eyes; they’re ready to snap at any moment. For these boys are forced to live with a mother who believes that she had a daughter rather than a son. The mother grooms her son as if he were a female. Now you may think I am just making all this up but I am not. I have my source; let’s just call him John for now. John travels down a tough road everyday, and it just isn’t right for us to laugh at him because of the style of his haircut, at least not in front of him.

So sarcasm is one style of humor, but there are all kinds of ways to tell jokes. I believe in jokes that don’t solely make people laugh though. I would rather make myself laugh than someone else. Many jokes are funny to me that are not funny to other people, take this right now as an example. But there are some good jokes that we can all laugh at together. Yo momma jokes and knock-knock jokes, those are some funny ones. I believe racist jokes though, like redhead jokes; those just aren’t funny at all.

I believe that humor is something that should be valued. As a society we don’t give it the chance it deserves, we only give it one channel, and that’s not nearly enough. Humor is all around us, and it’s important; so laugh a little, it might just help.