Boyuan - Ambler, Pennsylvania

I believe “the greatest thing about man is his ability to transcend himself, his ancestry, and his environment and to become what he dreams of being.” -Tully C. Knoles

For the last couple of months, I have been working at Kumon Learning Center in Springhouse. It was raining cats and dogs last November, and I had to attend a meeting or else I would be fired. After I just came back from my homeland Shijiazhuang, China, I wanted to experience what it was like to bike to work because I was too dumb to pass my permit test. I was fine until I reached the Susquehanna Road. From that point on, I felt as if I metamorphosed into a maimed deer. The cars were like robust cheetahs running next to me; they could eat me at any second if I had not been so cautious. On top of that, my wet baseball hat felt like a bird urinating constantly over my head. Once I passed Susquehanna Road, the “tree angels” spread their wings and created a Rain Shield, which was nothing more than a temporary relief. Next, I saw a Jaguar dashing towards me, and I veered to the right and arrived at Bethlehem Pike. There, I encountered a school bus full of silly monkeys laughing and mocking at me. After all, I could use my horns and defeat them in a bloody combat with no doubt. Next, my attention was captured by the BMW auto dealer. These were the carriages provided for the endangered species; being a maimed deer in the state of Pennsylvania, I was most certainly not one of them. Finally, I reached my destination and things turned from bad to worse.

At Kumon, I taught little cubs how to read and solve math problems. When I arrived fifteen minutes late that day, my supervisor, a Bengal Tiger, opened up her jaws and let out a deafening roar. She then wrapped her massive claws around my neck, and I could see lava flowing in her fiery eyes. The nightmare was not yet over. My coworkers, a bunch of carnivores, used their sharp fangs to subjugate weak herbivores, like me; I once again acquiesced to an unfair “Animal Treaty” and did all the tedious work. Just when I was about to finish my assignment, one of the parents, a grizzly bear, was irate at me because I made her child’s worksheet wet. She tenaciously gripped my back, lifted me up with such formidable strength, and threw me out of the window with no clemency. That was when I met my lovingly parents, and returned home.

After I took a shower, I finally transformed back into a Homo sapien. From that day on, I started to work hard in school because I did not want to end up like a deer dashing in the rain. Instead, I was determined to climb up the ecological pyramid and become one of the VIPs or endangered species driving BMWs. That is my dream.