Nora - Louisville, Kentucky
Themes: humanism

Amidst all the chaos, it is hard to put my finger on what it is that I believe. It is difficult to come to a definitive conclusion about anything, as my beliefs are perpetually growing, developing, and changing. I spend hours deliberating and feel proud when I finally come to a conclusion regarding any one thing. I have struggled through my high school years in an attempt to decide what it is that I believe. I am happy to say that I have finally decided, with certainty, what it is.

Humanity. I believe in the human existence and our capabilities. I believe in serving. It is no longer up for debate within my own mind. I have considered the possibilities, weighed the other options and have come to the absolute conclusion that I believe in humanity. I believe in our ability to change the world and to affect the lives of others. It is our responsibility on Earth to lighten the burdens of the humans around us and those yet to come.

In February, I went to a place called Nazareth Farm in West Virginia for a mission trip. I was able to surround myself with people who believe so thoroughly in solidarity that they clean their plates at every meal, drink every drip of water that they pour, and repair the homes of their neighbors. I met people in West Virginia who were busy balancing their own lives, caring for their own children, and working to support their own families but still found time and money to build a free porch for their next door neighbor.

To me the idea of solidarity seems so blatantly apparent that I can hardly imagine anyone second-guessing it. However, along the road, I have met many people who do not place their faith in us. They put all their eggs in the basket of God. It is troubling because when a friend dies, when their mom develops cancer, they drop God and the eggs break. As a Christian all too familiar with horrific tragedies occurring in the lives of the “alpha person”, I have maintained my faith. Through the difficulties of high school that always seem worse than anyone else’s and through the loss of an old friend at a young age, I have been able to stand firm in my faith in humanity. Though I have been hurt in relationships in a way only comparable to soap operas and ignored for months by blood relatives, I have stayed strong.

But for many, it is too easy to give up and let go. However, humanity cannot be questioned.. It is difficult to escape the potential inherent in our existence. It is inexorable and beautiful. My faith relies in my neighbors and myself. My beliefs stem from our capabilities, the things we do and the things we are yet to accomplish. Slowly, bit-by-bit, we will find the Utopia we are meant to. Slowly, bit-by-bit, humanity will have achieved its ultimate goal.