Russell - Dallas, Texas
Age Group: 65+

Too much talk, too much thought, too little doing the walk

Too much talk, too much thought, too little doing the walk. I believe that going from a thinker, and talker to a doer is as profound as anything in life. When you are doing, real magic happens. So the great question at all times is what can I start doing. Ironically, most of us know what to do. When you think about people who are successful you will find that there is little correlation to the schools they went to or whether they inherited money, no they are the doers of this world. They are making things happened as opposed to letting things happen to them.

A lot of not doing may be linked to fear of failure. “Hey, we say to ourselves if I do not try to do it, then I cannot fail.” It is like the old story of the golfer who never lost a golf tournament because he never played in one. The really good news in life, it is “OK” to fail, in fact as most sport professionals will tell you, it is part of winning.

We human beings including me are masters at thinking about things but when it comes to doing we are experts at postponement of actions. “I’ll start tomorrow, can’t do it because” is the typical motto. Losing weight in America is a great example of talk and thought and little walk. In fact, losing weight has become a super growth industry in the billions of dollars. Think of all of the books we buy and read about losing weight. You need a computer to put in all the possible diet combinations. We read a book and then say to ourselves “this diet is for me” but a week later we are back doing our old habits. It is the doing that escapes us. We keep on reading and studying as we get heavier and heavier. This applies to me as well as 40 million other Americans. There is only in the end two actions to take, eat less and do more exercise.

Doing applies to the intangibles in life too. Instead of talking about peace, love, and joy why not do peace, do love, and do joy. The big question is what do I do to have peace, love, and joy. You have probably found as I have that it is difficult to be depressed or unhappy if you are actively doing something. One of the best prescriptions for unhappiness is to take a good walk. Just put on some music and wave your arms, I guarantee you will feel better.

At the end of our lives when they are delivering the final service I believe most of the service will be about what you and I did in life rather than the thoughts and talk we had. So let’s start doing a little less talk and thought and a little more doing the walk.