Juan - Immokalee, Florida

Don’t Call Me a Zero; I’m Going to Be a Hero

Who I am now, I would not change in a million years. My name is Juan (Juanito), and I grew up in a small town in Florida similar to Sterling, Colorado, where I am currently a student athlete. Everyone thought I was a Zero, but I knew I would be a Hero. (Back home, to others, my friends were always criticizing me about me not being able to play college baseball, which was frustrating.) Playing baseball means a whole lot to me, and for that I will try my best, to be the best not just for me, but for my friends and family.

My dreams were broken inside of me because my friends and family doubted me. The friends of mine would say, “Oh yeah, right, Juan; I don’t think it will happen because you don’t look determined enough about playing college baseball.” But some friends went behind my back, and said harsh comments such as he will get home sick, and come back home. My uncles would also say, “Juanito, just go here to school in Fort Myers, just get your Academic Degree because it’s difficult to enter college level baseball.” Just about everyone would say cruel comments, which I didn’t like to, hear.

Next, I knew I was a hero because I saw myself as a remarkable athlete. What I did was gather all the criticisms that I had heard and used them as fuel to the fire. As my uncles used to say, “When someone talks badly about you, use it to build up your self-esteem and to better your qualities.” It hits me that showing my friends and family how wrong they are will satisfy me and help me accomplish my goals and dreams after all this frustration.

Playing baseball means a great deal to me, thus to hear others say such horrendous remarks to my face and behind my back is ridiculous. Every time I hear such comments I play harder because one day I will end up as a Major League Baseball player. For instance I played hard throughout my high school years and accomplished a scholarship to play baseball at Northeastern Junior College and got accused of not having a chance in college baseball. Once again, I am going to prove anyone wrong who comes in my way of my dreams and goals because in my opinion, “Baseball is the greatest game ever played.” Thus to be a hero to my friends and family means the world to me.

In conclusion, hearing that I’m a zero from everyone was sad on their part of being a friend or family member. Besides that, to regain strength of myself was pretty hard; accomplishing my efforts of being the best I could be in baseball has not ended, that day will only come when I am no longer here in this world.