Kaite - Sterling, Colorado

I Believe in the Magical World

Like most people, I grew up believing in God, Country, Family, and Honor, and I still do, except that I have secret. I strongly believe in a world of magic where magical creatures live. My belief in a magical world has been my secret, and until now, only a few people knew about my belief. I have had a glimmer of these magical creatures and their wondrous world, not once but twice, and I am hoping for another chance to experience once more a child-like feeling within myself.

My wonderful experience happened when I was four, and I ran into the house to let my great-grandmother know that a beautiful white horse, a little person with wings, and a rainbow was outside in our barnyard. I tried to tell her I thought the horse needed help because it had a horn sticking out of its head. Of course, my great-grandmother told me I was nuts and not to bother her with such foolishness. I ran back outside to see the horse and the strange little being to tell them I could not get to help. Without saying a word, they told me that it was alright, that they were fine, and that they came to see me and to let me see them. I felt joy and excitement, for now I had friends to play with, but the experience did not last long; when my great-grandmother came out of the house to see what I was doing, they disappeared. Was I sad that they had left? Strangely, no.

A long time passed before I saw my new-found friends. At thirteen I felt their presence again, during a calm summer night, when I could not sleep, so I went outside for awhile. Standing in our backyard on cool dirt, looking toward old elm trees outlined in the dark as a cool breeze started, I could hear a sound like someone whispering. When I tried to find where it was coming from, I saw the twinkling of lights, not coming from fireflies but from the fluttering of tiny wings. I saw a magnificent white horse with a horn in the middle of its forehead, and accompanying the horse was a rainbow. I knew then that my childhood friends had returned, but in a fleeting moment, they were gone.

I know people believe that I am crazy when I tell them of my experience, but their way of thinking no longer bothers me. The serenity, beauty, and the understanding of being able to keep my childlike senses with me overpowers any other feelings that might surface. I am hoping for the time when I can see my friends again, to find myself without worry, and then return to the real world and face it with a renewed feeling that everything will be as good as I can make it.