Christian - Santa Barbara, California

My trying years in the University of Southern California’s Annenberg School of Communication shaped my beliefs. I began my academic life as a student of journalism, but wandered into the sales-like life of public relations. My professors ranged from Emmy award winning broadcast journalists, to outstanding “spinsters” from the Enron crush.

Yet, my truth was found in Dr. Todd Boyd (Endowed Chair for the Study of Race and Popular Culture/Professor of Critical Studies in the USC School of Cinematic Arts) and his passionate approach to Hip Hop Culture. Dr. Boyd is a man who refused to accept a textbook description of history. Instead he relied on the truths of those who lived the life, and the media they collected to construct an uninhibited reality outside of the formally accepted realm.

This I believe,

I believe most mass media is a medicine we’d rather die than take willingly. The propaganda, false truths, and constant barrage of celebrity-based nothings aren’t what I’m referring to…

I refer to the raw reality. The senseless killings, unstoppable faux pas with tragic results, and mind-boggling atrocities we view each night. I believe that we are all astonished by the senselessness of the violent, turbulent world we entered. Our eyes see the mangled bodies, fierce hatred, and unrelenting despair…the unflinching truth of the world around us.

God bless technology, instant communication and worldwide capabilities. While “Big Brother” may exist; it seems that more often we are the unknowing knights of knowledge. For the atrocities common to us all are now seen through digital eyes, but felt with humanities heart. This I believe.

I often wonder if I know too much about the horrors of the world: Sierra Leone, Afghanistan, Iraq, and many, many more. But I believe our world should not be coated with saccharine.

The truth is, coffee beans are black. Even when diluted they contain caffeine. Although saturated, Journalism is our jump-start…even if you sometimes get the jitters.

This I believe.