Jill - Seattle, Washington
Themes: children, love

This I believe…

This I believe that when I look into the eyes of my children love knows no biological or color boundary. Love is not bound by gender, race or blood, love simply is. This I believe because I am the white mother of one biological child who is African-American/Caucasian and the mother of 3 adopted children who are African-American/Caucasian/Latina and African-American. I believe from the deepest part of my soul my children were meant to be mine and it has been my life’s journey to find them. They are mine. They do not look at me as their “white mommy” although we frequently talk about the color of skin, to them I am just Mommy. The Mommy who kisses them when they fall down, who listens to them when kids are mean at school, the mommy who tells them to pick up their dirty socks. It is not a complicated love or a love I feel the need to explain every time someone asks if they are “really my children”. They are my children. This I believe when we live in a world that often seems bent on pointing out our differences and making those differences a point of contention. Yes, we are different and differences are to be celebrated and treated as a gift but love is the same everywhere and does not change because we are different. This I believe when I tickle my youngest son’s deeply beautiful rich brown tummy and hear his belly laughs. This I believe when I marvel and my older son’s intelligence and athletic brilliance. This I believe when I watch my younger daughter make her own lunch and struggle with her reading. This I believe when my oldest daughter takes my hand and tells me about her day. This I believe as tears come to my eyes when I think about all I have learned at the hands of my children and how much more beautiful, richer and amazing my life is with them in it. My love for them has been waiting in my heart, waiting for the day we found each other, waiting for the time when I first smelled their sweet baby breath. This I believe is love with all the human foibles and challenges and the greatest joy I will ever know.