Kimberly - New Haven, Vermont
Themes: parenthood

Being a Parent

Most women can become pregnant and bring a child into this crazy world we live in. There’s no test to pass to make sure you are mentally, physically, and financially ready to take on this responsibility. You have to pass many tests along the way in life. Kids have to pass many tests in school to proceed into the next year as they get older. When we turn that glorious age of fifteen we get to take our permit test, and then god forbid the “evil” driver’s license many parents shudder over. Why is there no test to pass when it is time to become a parent? I truly believe this should be mandatory for all parents to be.

Many females can become pregnant at different ages, under many different circumstances. There are many things that have been invented to prevent children from coming into this world. We have condoms, birth control pills, abortion, the depo shot and lots of other “options” for couples to “use”. There are women in this world who have sex with a lot of different people and end up pregnant without knowing who the father is. When the realization of becoming a mother hits, panic arises. Another unwanted child will be born and forced to face a life that may not be adequate for them. In this day and age this is unacceptable and very irresponsible. Why do people not think of the consequences of their actions? Sadly, on the other end of the spectrum we have women who are forced to deal with the fact that they will never become a mother to their “own” child. These women are the heroes to the “lost” children of the world.

Our so called “government” should come up with some sort of plan or test that proves adults are able to take care of children. We need responsible adults to teach kids morals and respect. Lessons need to be taught that will stick with them throughout their young life and into their adulthood. A family should be able to have the ability to live a lifestyle that is secure enough to provide the children with all needs such as; clothing, doctor visits, schooling, extracurricular activities, etc.

Drinking, voting and driving are privileges controlled by the government. They decide when we’re responsible enough to do these things. Americans have proven time and time again that we can’t handle the responsibility involved in the decision to have a child or not. Obviously we need that decision to be controlled by the government as well. This I believe.