Bonnie - Arroyo Grande, California

Bonnie Jean Evans

Art of Advocacy

Winter 2007

“This I Believe”

I believe in the power of education. As a child I thought an education simply meant learning my ABC’s, what I didn’t know then was an ‘education’ means so much more. An education provides not only knowledge, but power. An education allows us to empower ourselves, to take control of our own destiny. An education isn’t an exclusive opportunity for the rich, brilliant or special. It’s available to each of us; it’s up to us to take advantage of it. We must step up, no matter how afraid we may be, and take what is ours.

I dropped out of high school my freshman year and had my first daughter when I was 19. I assumed because I was on welfare, uneducated and alone that my life was dictated for me, I would be bound to dead-end jobs and struggling for the rest of my life. Then the most amazing thing happened, due to an unexpected circumstance I was faced with the decision to attend college. I was 26 and scared to death, but I took the challenge and began a journey that would change my life forever.

Attending college in the beginning was frightening; however as I continued I began to realize that I too could become anything my heart desired. The more I learned the more I craved knowledge. I wanted to know about everything, especially about people. I love others, my passion is serving others. I desired to not only serve but to provide a deeper understanding to those around me. I took psychology, sociology, human service, and as many classes as I could about the world around me. I volunteered at various youth organizations, I networked and began to meet and speak with a multitude of other educated individuals. I was blossoming into a new woman, and educated woman.

It’s been a long haul but worth every struggle to get where I am today. I thank God for the opportunity to learn. I am so grateful that when the challenge arose I took it, in spite of my fears. An education is an opportunity, an opportunity is a possibility and a possibility is just the beginning of something, something that can change the world.