Kamilah - Detroit, Michigan

When I’m feeling down and need something to lift my spirit, I pop in a Chris Rock or Dane Cook DVD. I also turn on Jimmy Kimmel – I TiVo his show every night. For the short time when I am watching and listening to these comedians I forget my problems.

I feel happy and free. Laughter is a healing force.

What’s interesting about people who make us laugh is that many have experienced some really sad times in their lives. Their gift to humanity is that they are able to draw on their pain and discomfort to make others laugh. I think of Jimmy Kimmel as free therapy, you watch the monologue, and you’re laughing the next day about some joke he made on the show.

When I’m watching the Colbert Report, and I see politicians that come on the show, I say to myself “I’m sure you’ve seen the show, why become the butt of the joke.” I realize they want laughter in their lives even though they are in a serious profession. They come on this mock news show to laugh, and have fun, in addition to the publicity. I think political leaders worldwide would benefit from watching a good comedic DVD or listening to a CD from time to time. It really does help to lift your spirit and clear your mind. I mean who can listen to Chris Rock and not feel better.

Making someone laugh to me is one of the best gifts you can give. They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away; well I say a joke a day keeps the drama away. This I Believe.