Ashley - Vale, Oregon

In a world full of idolized actors and actresses whose work is to be something they’re not, it’s hard to find the courage to stand out in a crowd and just be yourself. As a result, a lot of people think it’s okay to just blend in with everyone else, in fact some even go to great lengths to do just that. Others do just the opposite and make themselves known to the world in extreme ways. I was always the type to just blend in with the crowd. I thought that my life was perfect just the way it was. But then I had the opportunity to stick out for a small moment and realized how much I was really missing by sitting on the sidelines with everyone else instead of jumping into the game.

A lot of times, standing out in a crowd means more then just showing your face to the world. It can also mean standing up for your standards and beliefs. When following the world, it becomes easy for one to forget what they stand for and instead stand for what the world is standing for. I’ve found myself in such a situation on countless occasions. Without even realizing it, the crowd I was following was walking down a foreign path, one that I had never intended to walk down. Each time this occurs, the realization that I must get out soon hits me. But the problem is that a lot of times I don’t think I have the courage to get out. I don’t want everyone to see me being different. But, somehow, by some means, I get up the courage to do it anyway because I know deep down that I will regret it if I don’t.

So I stand out in a crowd now. I let people know that I am something worth looking at. Of course it’s harder to live this way, but the end result is easier to deal with. My self esteem isn’t perfect, but it’s better then it ever would be if I would have just blended in with the crowd at those times when it would have been so easy to do so. Fortunately, I’m not the only one who has experienced such an occurrence. I have seen this power work in other’s lives and I can testify to the importance of it. On the other hand, some people are fine and comfortable just being among the crowd. To those people, congratulations. For everyone else, this is my experience. You’ll do more harm to yourself by being a member of the crowd then by taking a chance and finding out your potential as an individual. But it has also been my experience that the results are up to the person doing the standing. The results are up to me and the action has to be worth it to me. My life, I have decided, must be the way it is by choice, not by chance.