Jill - Vale, Oregon
Themes: parenthood

After arriving home from a very stressful and discouraging day at school, I was in great need of my mother’s comforting opinion. After talking through all that had gone wrong and seeking solutions to my problems, I felt great peace. This experience made me think of other children dealing with similar stressful situations. As I pondered on what help they were seeking, I felt sorry for those who did not have a mother to come home to. Whether she was at work or otherwise occupied, they would be unable to receive comfort through someone who truly loved and cared for them.

In a vastly growing world, many mothers must seek jobs in order for their families to survive financially. Some fathers are just not able to make enough money and mothers are then needed to work outside the home. There are also some mothers who need to take time for them self in order to remain sane. Through working away from the home, they are able to have time for personal progression and then are able to spend time teaching their children when they arrive home.

Although many believe that working mothers has no effect on the child, it has been my experience that the ideal situation is to have the mother in the home, raising her children to the best of her ability and for the benefit of their development. Unfortunately, this is not always possible and many mothers have to work. However, there are many avenues that can be sought to make the best out of this situation. By planning accordingly to be home when the child arrives home from school, or seeking other business ventures that can be accomplished from the home, mothers are able to multi-task their responsibilities. Through these avenues, mothers are then able to be home during the critical learning years and are able to teach their children while working at the same time.

President Gordon B. Hinckley of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints stated, “The greatest job that any mother will ever do will be in nurturing, teaching, lifting, encouraging, and rearing her children in righteousness and truth. None other can adequately take her place”. Though there are many child care facilities, they do not always provide the essential learning environment that children need to succeed in life. Child care facilities often have difficulties meeting the needs of each child as they do not have sufficient staff to provide a much needed one-on-one learning experience.

Considering the many situations which contribute to mothers working outside the home, there are many avenues available for them to work and still be there to teach their children. Whether she is able to stay at home, or if she works and makes time to be available for her children, she is fulfilling her responsibility as a mother.