David - chicago, Illinois

I believe that being in or with a touring band is the only job that I truly feel comfortable having. I enjoy going on tour, so touring with a band would be an interesting job, in my opinion, that I would love to have.

I believe that seeing the world through a plane window, a van seat, or a bus lounge is the best way to see how this world really is. It is something that you are unable to see sitting in your house listening to a band’s CD. Being paid to see the world does not get much better either.

I believe that this ideal job would be the most difficult job as well. The lack of sleep, the constant travel, the money management, and the heavy lifting takes a gigantic affect on you after a while. You never really get to meet a person; only meeting someone 25% takes away from knowing WHO they really are. There are grave consequences and awful things you can fall into that can lead to bigger problems. For as much work this job concurs, there is never enough money to buy friends or buy happiness.

I believe that the world of touring bands is an entire family. Everyone has similar stories. Everyone has different stories. They know similar people; they have eaten the same stale foods. The close knit family is in existence for everyone. When tragedy strikes your “family” is always around. You will always have someone out there for you. Your life is spent sitting in a vehicle with your best friends; laughing, smiling, and enjoying your time.

I believe that living off of gas station food is also another aspect of my choice into this career. Whether you find your food in Sheetz, WaWa, Shell, BP, Exxon, or a country back-road Mom and Pop station, you are always introduced with bountiful amounts of goods. You can choose to have the twelve hour hot dog, or the new flavored Doritos. The drinks are always the same, no matter whose name is on the label. The corporate gas stations become targets for some bands with no money, or no respect. Stealing everything they can, station to station, they live on the “edge.” Most bands do not stoop that low, due to the fact that they receive dinner buyouts from the promoter that night.

I believe that no matter where you are, music will be there. The world will always have music and there will always be performers. Your friends, your “family, will always be there for you. You are able to see wherever on a “whatever” kind of schedule. This is why I believe that being in or with a touring band is my dream job.