Angela - Hilliard, Ohio

“Good Things Will Come” By: Angela Morris

I have always been raised to do what’s expected, to do what’s right, to not lie or cheat, nor to steal or fight. But without having to be taught, I have found my own, that to be greedy and selfish, will keep you alone. But if you live with honesty and truth, compassion and care, that many true friends will always be there. And this I believe, when I live my life honestly and truthfully, humbly and honorably, good things will come.

I believe that if I were to unconcernedly sympathize, and roll my eyes as someone told me of their troubles, that troubles would soon come my way. But by giving heartfelt condolences and trying to understand, perhaps troubles in my future would fade away. I try to put myself in other people’s positions and ask what I would want to happen. If I were to sneer at their troubles, how would that bring me satisfaction? If I show apathy toward other’s outcomes, my life shall soon have negative outcomes of its own. But as I live my life the way I should even when no one is watching, good things will come.

To want to take the high road in life is a decision that is made within, which must persist without sway from others speaking with sly grins. To want to take the high road in life requires more than just want for recognition, but as well as appreciation in the satisfaction that I made the right decision. Whatever the prize for dodging hurdles, taking advantage, and cutting corners, couldn’t be as rewarding as the happiness and gratitude received from others. For good things to come, I must first pay my dues. Why do I deserve my lottery win, my A on my test or my dream to come true? Because this I believe- good things do come; when I help others first, after my sacrifices are done. To procrastinate is to miss an opportunity of making good with my life, something I could be bettering, trying to make right. If I not be greedy with my blessings and stay true to who I am, as the saying goes, “the fruit shall fall in my hand.”

One day it all just seemed so simple as my best friend and I discussed, all the arrogance and discourtesy of the public’s conduct. Why is it that the world leaves the bigger problems for everyone else to get done? Who is that one person that knows that good things will come? I believe in being the one person who is unhesitant to assist and knows that though absent now, my reward will persist. Perhaps he, who doesn’t believe in this, will never offer his chair, help an elderly, or pay someone else’s bus fair. But the next time an opportunity comes; do something good for someone else, because this I believe, good things will come.