Allison - Troy, New York
Themes: death, family

Most people, who have experienced the death of a loved one, can vouch that there is no solace to losing someone close to your heart; I am no exception to this. While death is defined as the total and permanent cessation of all the vital functions of an organism, I believe that even though a person is no longer alive in body, so to speak, they will continue to live on in spirit through love and memory.

My grandmother, known to many as “Mama”, was a strong, lively, loving woman with a great personality. A great part of her personality shined through with her wit and humor; needless to say Mama never left us with a dull moment.

Last month, I lost my beloved Mama, and though she is no longer with us physically, her spirit continues to live on each day through the innumerable memories she has left with us. To me, everything that happens in any given day can somehow be related to a certain memory of Mama. Whether it be a discussion about a lake that reminds me of a summer at camp with Mama, the sight of a boat making me think of our once in a lifetime family cruise with Mama, or a pair of Uggs bringing back a fond memory of my glamorous grandmother; everything during the course of my day causes me to reminisce about any ordinary day spent with Mama. Although perpetually departed, I feel that Mama lives on, and will continue to live on in our hearts through the countless memories she has left with us.

I do not know if I will ever completely come to terms with the physical loss of my best friend, but I do know, that Mama will continue to live on in spirit as long as our love and memories and allow her to. In saying that, I know Mama will be in this world eternally, as she has left us with everlasting memories as a result of her loving, caring nature and frivolous personality.

While death takes so much from us, I have learned that it does not and can not take everything; love and memories are two things that can never be taken from us; they will be with us perpetually. A proverb from a headstone in Ireland truly sums up my feeling about losing a loved one:

“Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,

Love leaves a memory no one can steal.”