Tammy - San Diego, California

This I believe: A work in Progress

“Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be converted from one form to another.” I believe in the infinite, that all things are possible and that we’re all connected, all energy and knowledge is communal, you need only pluck it out of the cosmos and wield it through your will.

I believe in magic in the process of discovery in the way a child will alight on a new idea experiencing the joy as it overtakes the moment and all those in contact with it. Magic, in the search for knowledge and or experience. Awe and wonder and love, and how those things combine to make you feel a little bigger than yourself. I believe in taking responsibility for my actions and blaming no one, no circumstance, no luck, just me, making things happen in the life and time I share with all those around me. None of us are victims. We have a responsibility that is bigger than ourselves, we have a responsibility to each other, to treat each other with honesty, generosity and love. I believe that people have confused personal responsibility with personal freedoms. I believe in personal and communal responsibility. Personal Freedom is not above this.

It is our responsibility to be less ignorant. You need not believe in a “God” to do this, you need only look around and see how your actions affect many. Believing in a “God” does not give you the right to shirk your responsibilities to your fellow man or a reason to kind. I believe in a God myth not because I need a scapegoat or a conscious, but because, against logic, I choose too. I like the way those feeling and thoughts sit in my breast and calm me and give me hope. I believe in HOPE. Not blind hope sit around and pray kind of hope, but hope in the form of taking personal action and, again, personal responsibility. I haven’t yet found my God, I believe I’m still looking.

I believe in the sensuality of life, tasting the subtle shift in chocolate as it melts on your tongue and slides down the back of your throat, the feeling of rubbing your warm legs between cool cotton sheets, the smell of wet, soaked wood and the sound of children’s laughter. I believe in being thankful and grateful for all the sweetness life has to offer and I believe there is still so much for me to know.

I believe that I and “This I Believe” are a work in progress.