Annie - Marcellus, Michigan

If you were to pass me in the mall, I would not care what you thought of me. I am not normal for my age; but that hardly upsets me. I believe in the power of abnormality.

Alright, I’ll admit it. Once I longed to fit in. Once, I wanted my wish for fashion to be graciously granted. There were certain standards constantly being made known to me, and I believed my job was to uphold them.

I only thought of me, myself, and I.

Yet I found this perspective hardly satisfying; instead of quenching my thirst for popularity, my arrogance only made my problems multiply. Keeping the status quo was harder than I imagined.

In my desperation I sought perfection. Who cares if my clothes are not in style? I can still be known as a kind, intelligent person. Therefore, I strived to excel at school. My report cards came home with A’s, and smiles of pride came from my mother. Nevertheless, this perspective fell short of perfection also. Every time I received a B on a test or even an A minus on an exam, I felt like a loser. I worked so hard to meet perfection, but along with the work came stress. I became unhappy. I mean, who knew school would tire you out? I didn’t.

Finally I found one thing that could heal me. My perfection was awarded with a ticket to Word of Life Bible Camp. I loaded my heavy bag into the back of a van and endured a thirteen hour road trip. This was my “chance of a lifetime,” my journey to perfection. I had forgotten that this was a Bible Camp; the kind counselors and my God could look through my mask of excellence. I was not living my life like I should have. Through His Word, God showed me that I should act like me. “Okay,” I said. “No more arrogance, I will be myself.” And my personality was pure abnormality.

Yes, I am the perfect example of abnormality. I mean, who else would walk through a mile-long shopping mall with a Chiquita banana sticker on her forehead? I would! And who else would wear the ugliest bucket hats you have ever seen to public flea markets? I would! Who else would have enough bravery to endure the scorning looks of others as she passed tracts filled with true hope to people not responsive enough to even look at them? I would! If God can change prostitutes, liars, and others into people ready to be used by Him, can He not use me, a person who’s a few fries short of a happy meal? Yes, I believe in the power of abnormality.

Go ahead, call me crazy. Call me the most naïve person to ever walk the face of the earth. But you cannot prevent me from believing.