Yuka - Torrance, California

Happiness is like fire; it can be ignited or put out. As an individual, you have the power to control the intensity of the heat of your own happiness.

I have witnessed this in my life. My mother divorced my father when I was seven years old. My father’s infidelity caused the demise of my parent’s relationship. My mother was then faced with two choices: create happiness once again or dwell in the negative remnants of a past life. She chose the former, and for that I am always grateful. I know that my sister and I motivated her to stay strong and work hard in order to piece together a shattered life, but I think that most of her strength came from her eagerness to be happy once again.

My mother has taught me an important lesson: that I can depend on myself. I can allow others to join me in my search for happiness, but it will not hinder my goal to be content with myself first. Nobody can tell me what I want now, for the future, in life, or in anything that I pursue. Discovering, creating, and maintaining this inner happiness is an exploration that will last a lifetime.

“You are your own best friend.” This statement is very true; we cannot depend on others to the extent that if we were to lose them, we would be completely lost and without joy. I believe that when we are faced with a new challenge, risk, or beginning, we must know that we can depend solely on ourselves to take on the adversity and understand that happiness comes from within—we just have to let go of our fears and search inside.