Samantha - Sandpoint, Idaho
Themes: parenthood

I believe in heroes. I believe that any person at any age can be a hero. I have many heroes in my life that are both younger and older than me.

Heroes can be famous or non-famous. Heroes can be anyone in the world from your grandma to Michael Jordan. Some of the personality traits a hero should have are honesty, kindness, and they need to be someone you can feel safe with. They must also be accepting, courageous, and able to stand up for what they believe in.

My personal hero is my little princess, my daughter, Aryianna. She shows me every day what it takes to be a hero. With her positive attitude and her ready smile she shows me how brave she is on a daily basis.

Aryianna Marie Moore was born January 26, 2006 at 6:52 AM. I wasn’t really sure what was going on right after birth, but I knew Aryianna wasn’t breathing. My foster Mom, the pediatrician, Dr. Gilbert, brought Aryianna to the nursery and did some X-rays and cleaned the mucus out of my daughter’s throat. Aryianna then needed to be flown in a helicopter to Sacred Heart Medical Center Children’s Hospital where she had emergency surgery. She needed the surgery because she had a birth defect called a tracheo-esophageal fistula and an esophageal atresia. This means at the top part of the esophagus was a blind pouch, and the bottom part was attached to the lungs. After the surgery Aryianna was kept in a coma with medication for five days so she could heal from the surgery. When she was allowed to wake up from the coma she had to relearn how to eat, because she had lost the suck and swallow reflex that all newborn babies have.

Aryianna was in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (or NICU) for 19 days. She is now 10 months old and has many diagnoses. These diagnoses include tracheo-esophageal fistula with esophageal atresia, gastroesophageal reflux, pre-asthma condition, esophageal strictures, aspiration pneumonia, chronic constipation, congenital heart defects including VSDs and a PDA, and a lazy eye.

Aryianna has many possible strikes against her. She was born to a very young teenage single mother who herself is in foster care. Her birth father will never be a part of her life. All her many medical conditions will continue to cause her daily problems. I believe that her courage now will help her deal with all the obstacles that will occur throughout her life.

Aryianna is my hero because of the ways she handles her everyday life. Even with all of her medical conditions she has a bright and shiny smile. She has to take many medications, and breathing treatments, on a daily basis and she does this with a good attitude. She is not afraid of the doctors and nurses who have to do procedures on her. She simply greets them with babbles and a smile.

In Aryianna’s medical future there are many unknowns. She may need different medications, more surgical procedures, and she may be hospitalized for more illnesses. I know she can withstand any obstacles because of her strong will and positive attitude.

I believe in heroes because of Aryianna. I admire her will to survive and I know she can deal with whatever life sends her way.