KaliKai - Sandpoint, Idaho

Broadening your horizons is anything that is a big adventure and makes life worth living. I believe that you should always be ready to try new things, go new places, and talk to new or different people.

So I speak from personal experience when I say that broadening your horizons is important. For example, my family has moved a lot and I’ve had to be very open minded about new people and places. I’ve learned a lot from the times I’ve moved, such as the world doesn’t fall apart when I move, and that there will always be new people to be your friends.

These adventures are the spice of life. They also educate myself and others about who I am. They give me something to talk about and be proud of doing. When I was in 6th grade, my class and I went to Kokanee glacier in Canada. I hiked all ten miles to the top of the mountain with a heavy pack on my back through sun, snow, rain, and hail. This was a new experience for me and broadened my horizons immensely. I had never been on a big hike with a heavy pack, or out of the USA before, and it was also my first time at that school. This adventure taught me a lot about myself and others about me. Like that I’m a good athlete and that if I set my mind to something I can do it.

I believe in using the things I learn to help people because I think that if you have unique abilities you should use them to help. At Kokanee glacier I helped some other students to cross a steep part of the path by carrying some of their stuff across because I have good balance and it was easier for me.

I also think that it is necessary to have fun while broadening your horizons because otherwise there would be no point in life.

When it comes to broadening your horizons, I believe that it is best to approach it with a happy disposition and an open mind. So that when you do run into things that don’t agree with you, you don’t do something you’ll regret later. Being open minded pays off immensely when you try new things, go new places, or meet new people.

That is how I still try my best to see things, be it new schools, new people, new ideas, or even new class assignments. I try to get other people to see it that way too. I think you should always jump at the chance to broaden your horizons because you never know what you’ll learn or who’ll you’ll meet. It makes life fun when you don‘t know where you‘ll go or who you‘ll meet. But above all I think that it is very important to be yourself and be open to everyone and everything. You never know where you‘re going to end up.